baby

Monday, January 25, 2010

Birth Center Blues

Today I went to The Birth Cottage in Milford NH. First off the sky was pouring swimming pools of rain and I had to take Evelyn with me. After trucking out the 40 minute drive to Milford and getting soaked doing so we arrived at the most incredible birthing center I have ever been to. It was like walking into someone's home.
The reception is totally kid friendly, there is even a fully stocked changing table in the reception area for "visiting babies." There are tons of toys for the kids to play with and they have baby proofed the entire are to encourage children to roam and explore! This is a big plus since my last prenatal office had a strict NO children policy.
Their exam rooms are straight out of a Better homes and Gardens magazine. It looks like walking into an 80 yr old woman's bedroom lol. The carpets are clean and fresh, instead of an exam table you lay on a twin bed with a floral bedspread complete with a lace canopy! Instead of a table they have an antique desk where the midwife has all of her instruments and paperwork.
There are 3 different sitting rooms, one looks like a modern day living room complete with flat screen T.V., another is a bright sun room complete with live plants and wicker furniture, and the last is a 'guest bedroom' that families staying can take a nap. They encourage family to be part of the event (again another huge difference because St. Joseph's had no waiting room at all)
The best part were the birthing rooms. One was a 'yellow room' with sunny yellow walls, off white and yellow flowered curtains, and bright cheery artwork. My favorite was the "lavender room" it had pastel lavender walls, long white sheer curtains, and very subdue calm artwork, the room just spilled relaxation. Both birthing rooms were complete with King size beds, and GIGANTIC birthing tubs. They offer laboring in the tub as well as waterbirths, and an attached private bathroom and shower!
There are only 2 nurse midwifes and 4 senior apprentices so you will always see the same people. They will even follow you regardless of your delivery, i.e. induction, c-section etc. It was like a breath of fresh air, till I sat down with the director.
Unfortunately they do not know if they will be able to accept me as a patient because of my "diabetes." As midwives they see no problem with it especially since my endocrinologist agrees with my decision to use a nurse midwife, however, their laws prohibit any insulin dependency. So we're trying 2 different things,
1) since I have been on such a practically non-existent insulin regiment I am being re-evaluated to see if they can change or at least re-word my diagnosis. Originally I was diagnosed with "hyperglycemia" but for insurance/referral/dr purposes they had to specify it as "diabetes."So I'm going to see my endocrinologist tomorrow to run a bunch of tests to see if they can find some better answers.
2) the midwife is writing a letter after I provide all the documentation and results/referrals from my physicians appealing to the Midwifery counsel to allow them to treat me as a special case. I am completely comfortable with all of this, I haven't needed insulin in so long, and if it were to get worse it would have done so during my first pregnancy with Evie, also, my delivery with Evelyn required NO insulin monitoring, infact it was my sister who took my sugars for me and they actually removed me from all medication for a while. Lastly, evelyn had no issues with blood sugars at all which is nearly unheard of with true diabetic mothers.
I am just hoping and praying that something can come out of all of this because I SERIOUSLY do NOT want to go back to a hospital again. It was such a horrific experience and unnecessarily so torturing that I do not want to go back The best they could offer would be an assisted at home birth, but I really do not feel comfortable laboring and delivering here.
I don't know. I have some time. I have an appointment with my OBGYN next week that I am keeping so I can get my RH- shots and at least my prenatals started. I figure I can always transfer later. The big bummer was that they still can not give me an accurate due date. Since my LMP was Dec 16 but the beta on Jan 18 was neg, and I didn't receive a positive test till Thrus the 21st. (confirmed the next day by another blood test) they just can't accurately estimate the due date. So the plan is to have an ultrasound on Feb 16th and another 4 weeks later if they both measure comparably then they will give me an estimated due date.
So for now they are just going by my LMP by default. Humph. Who knows... I am really looking forward to that ultrasound I think that will be the big kicker to make this all very real!

1 comment:

  1. It was fun to read this post. As I was reading the first part I was wondering about your diabetes, and then you addressed it. lol I hope things work out. I wish I knew years ago what I know now about birthing centers and stuff like that. I don't know how things would have played out with either pregnancy but trying would have been fun. I'll be thinking of and praying for a good outcome. Good luck. Looking forward to the outcome of the ultrasounds and adventuring through this pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete